Science at Friars
Achieving excellence through a fun, engaging, inclusive and enquiring Science curriculum.
At Friars, we understand the need for pupils to have the opportunity to learn Science by offering an exciting, inclusive and inspiring curriculum. We aim to nurture pupils’ natural curiosity through varied practical investigations that will inspire questions and inquiry leading to them being equipped for life to ask and answer scientific questions about the world around them.
- Pupils have science lessons that are both engaging and inspiring
- Pupils are encouraged to explore the world around them, make real life connections which adds to their science capital
- Pupils have an opportunity to experience hands-on investigations and experiments
- Pupils are all challenged and use their learning to inform their peers throughout the school and the wider community
- Pupils have opportunities to reflect, ask questions and discuss which builds on prior knowledge and develops their deeper understanding of science
- Pupils use science vocabulary to explain their thinking
Science is good when it is / has
All (for everyone)
- At Keys Stages 1 and 2 we ensure that all aspects of the national curriculum requirements for science are covered and that there is continuity and progression. Unit plans ensure progression of the body of core scientific knowledge in KS1 and 2.
- We place a significant emphasis on the development of working scientifically. The key scientific skills of making predictions, ensuring fair testing, analysing and evaluating results and drawing conclusions are developed progressively through each unit and through regular practicals.
- Unit plans are supplemented by the Kent Science scheme for specific lesson plans, resources and outcomes.