Primary School PE and Sport Funding
Overall aims for PE and sport at Friars
- Increase participation and success in competitive sports
- Identify and provide opportunities for the more able in PE
- Improve physical well being and health of all pupils
- Provide professional development opportunities for staff to further improve quality of PE provision
(through direct training and on going observation of specialist coaches)
- Signpost children and families to opportunities beyond the school. Please click here to take you to a list of available clubs throughout Southwark.
What is the PE and sport premium?
The Government provided funding of £150 million per annum for academic year 2014 – 2020 to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding will be allocated to primary school headteachers. The sport funding can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools. OFSTED will play a significant role in ensuring that schools target this funding in areas which will lead to clear outcomes in raising standards and opportunities in PE and school sport for all children throughout the Primary Phase. All schools will receive a lump sum of £8,000 plus a premium of £5 per pupil for the next two academic years.
Purpose of funding
How will we be spending the PE and sport premium funding and who will benefit?
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding include:
• hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
• new or additional Change4Life sport clubs
• paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
• providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
• running sport competitions, or increasing participation in school games
• buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE/sport
• providing places for pupils in after school sport clubs and holiday clubs.
How will we be spending the Sports funding and who will benefit?
The Governors agree that the money must be used so that:
• all children benefit regardless of sporting ability
• the most able children are given the opportunity to compete in advanced tournaments
• staff have access to training opportunities and continued professional development
Details of how we have spent and will spend the funding:
Schools also have to publish data showing Year 6 pupils’ attainment in swimming. This information can be found in the PE and sport premium evaluations.
Please click on the link below to see the current plan
For further information relating to PE and Sport Premium, please visit www.gov.uk