Physical education at Friars
- As we use a significant proportion of our PE and sports premium to buy into the PE and school sports network (PESSN – Based at Bacon’s college in Southwark) we have adopted their curriculum. A progression map of PE knowledge and skills from Early Years upto the end of Year 6 can be accessed here.
- In addition to the unit plans for PE that are used by teachers we access the following resources:
- Swimming – all children from Y2 upwards have at least one half term a year of weekly swimming lessons at the fusion health centre in SE1. Where possible we offer catch up classes in Y6 to enable children to be able to swim competently, over a distance of at least 25 metres; use a range of strokes effectively; and perform safe self-rescue.
- Dance – all children across the school have a weekly dance session with a specialist teacher who links the teaching of specific dance skills with the wider curriculum and provides regular opportunities for all children to perform.
- PESSN coach – every alternate half term all children from Y1 – 6 receive specialist teaching from a PESSN coach. This provides ongoing high quality provision from specialists and professional development for teachers which increases their capacity to teach their own PE every other half term.
- PESSN PE and sporting opportunities – throughout the year all children have access to a wide range of competitions and festivals and teachers also have access to ongoing professional development beyond the ongoing work described above.
- For further detail please see our PE and sports premium action plan.