Primary School PE and Sport Funding
The government provides additional funding to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding – provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport – is allocated to primary school headteachers.
This funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools.
Overall aims for PE at Friars
- Increase participation and success in competitive sports
- Identify and provide opportunities for the more able in PE
- Improve physical well being and health of all pupils
- Provide professional development opportunities for staff to further improve quality of PE provision
(through direct training and on going observation of specialist coaches)
- Signpost children and families to opportunities beyond the school. Please click here to take you to a list of available clubs throughout Southwark in the 2018/19 academic year.
Funding received for current academic year:
The amount received for 2018/19 is £17670
Details of how we have spent and will spend the funding:
Please click on the link below to see the 2017 – 19 action plans
The effect of the funding on pupils’ sport participation and attainment:
- “Pupils enjoy a wide range of sporting opportunities as a result of the additional funding for primary physical education (PE) and sport. The school employs external sports coaches who provide after-school and physical education provision. This has led to an increase in the number of pupils that participate in sports clubs, as well as to an effective improvement of teachers’ skills in teaching PE.” OFSTED, May 2018
- Further impact is detailed in the specific expenditure plans
- Click on the links below to see activity and outcomes as a result of the direct use of PE and Sport Premium 2017/2018 and 2018/2019
- PE and Sports activity as a result of the use of PE and Sport Premium 2017 18
- PE and Sports activity as a result of the use of PE and Sport Premium 2018 19
- Please also view archived material below for historic impact.
How we will make sure improvements to sport participation and attainment are sustainable:
- The networks built up between schools through membership of the PE and school sports network will enable inter-school festivals and competitions to carry on indefinitely
- The specific PD provided for teachers through membership of the PE and school sports network will enable teaching to remain of a high quality
- The ongoing PD delivered through teachers observing weekly specialist coaching will enable teaching to remain of a high quality.
- The relationship with our specialist dance teacher will ensure high quality dance provision will continue over time.
- High quality recruitment and retention has resulted in having a PE subject leader who is a competitive swimmer, qualified lifeguard and swimming teacher
Swimming information for end of Year 6:
Please click on the below for the statutory swimming report for 2018/19