Maths at Friars
- We follow White Rose Maths medium term plans which uses a mastery approach to teaching maths.
- Concrete and pictorial representations are used to help build procedural and conceptual knowledge together.
- Children become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, so that pupils develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- We teach children how to reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language
- We use Fluent in Five to provide a daily set of arithmetic practice, which is designed to help children develop and maintain fluency in both written and mental calculations. The structure of Fluent in Five is also designed to help children distinguish between written and mental calculations.
- We explicitly teach skills such as how to use mathematical equipment accurately and other areas of maths such as measure and geometry.
- We also use mathletics (http://www.mathletics.co.uk/)throughout the school. It is an online teaching resource that is designed to raise standards in maths through the use of games and competition on a global scale.